Since Stranger Things aired their Season 2 trailer during the Super Bowl, the anticipation for the next season of the retro-styled sci-fi Netflix show has been at a fever pitch. Info on the show’s return has been fairly scarce and since Season 2 won’t air until Halloween 2017, we’ll have to make do for now with these plot details newly obtained by Entertainment Weekly.
Here’s what we know about Season 2 of Stranger Things so far:
- Season 2 of Stranger Things begins about a year after the events of the first season, on Halloween—which explains the boys’ Ghostbusters costumes glimpsed in the trailer
- Will Byers (Noah Schnapp), whose disappearance was a major plot driver of Season 1, is not doing so great. “He seems to be seeing images from the Upside Down—the question is whether they’re real or not,” Matt Duffer tells EW, “So it seems like he’s having some sort of post-traumatic stress disorder.”
- Joyce (Winona Ryder) is dating a former classmate, Bob (Sean Astin)
- Hopper (David Harbour) is working hard to keep the incredulous events of last season a secret to protect Joyce and all the kids. He’s struggling with compromising his integrity to do so.
- Nancy (Natalia Dyer) and Mike (Finn Wolfhard) are still reeling from the deaths of their friends, Barbara (Shannon Purser) and Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown). But is Eleven still “alive”? Her appearance in the trailer and on the cover of EW sporting a new, shaggy Sigourney Weaver-like do, seems to say yes.
- New characters, Billy (Dacre Montgomery) and Max (Sadie Sink) are a brother and sister duo. While Max attracts the romantic attentions of Lucas and Dustin (Caleb McLaughlin and Gaten Matarazzo), Billy is far less liked. Matt Duffer hints that Billy will be the show’s villain for Season 2, adding: “Stephen King always has really great human villains. The evil in the real world is often as bad or worse than the supernatural evil, so we wanted to introduce a character like that.”
- The Upside Down and the Lab remain open, except this time the lab is run by “seemingly friendly” Dr. Owens (Paul Reiser).
- The show will feature “different kinds of horror,” according to the Duffer brothers.
- Dustin will have a “polliwog-like pet.” Speaking to EW, Matarazzo says, “It’s a little creature I get to bond with … It’s obviously not from this planet or this dimension.”
Missed it during the Superbowl? Watch the Season 2 trailer:
Source: Entertainment Weekly